Did you Know? Based on the 2012 census there are:
- 44,800 farms in Virginia
- The average farm/ranch size is 181 acres
- Farmland covers 8.1 million acres or 32% of the state's total land area
Agriculture is very important in the State of Virginia so the truth about our practices is important to understand. We constantly hear about the impact of raising beef on the environment but we don't always get the correct picture. Often facts are rearranged to suit different motives. The reality is beef production has made many strides over the years.
DID YOU KNOW?
- We now raise 13% more beef with 13% fewer cows meaning less impact on the environment
- When we talk about the carbon footprint Livestock account for only 3% of the total emissions put out in this country
- One pound of beef now takes 34% less land and 14% less water to produce
- In the dairy industry 1 cow now produces the same amount of milk that 5 cows previously produced
- Since 1944 the Dairy Industry has decreased their emissions 63%/per gallon of milk produced
Technology, genetics and sustainable practices are all changing the way we do business. Agriculture cares about the environment and everyday we do our part to feed Americans with the least impact on our land as possible. Ranching is not an easy business, we do it because we love the land, our animals and our heritage. Always get the facts. Go to the source with your questions and don't always believe what you hear.
SPRING IS COMING...ENJOY THE AWAKENING!
The Princess Rancher